Dr Alex Thompson
Dr Alex Thompson has a background in biomedical engineering and biomedical optics. He completed a BEng (Electronics and Computer Systems, 2010) and BSc (Research and Development, 2010) and a PhD in Biomedical Engineering (2014) at Swinburne University. His PhD project investigated novel optical techniques to stimulate neurons in the cochlea, with the aim of replacing conventional electrical stimulation. He then moved to the University of St Andrews to develop a wearable sensor of erythema in collaboration with the Photobiology Unit at Ninewells Hospital, Dundee.
He joined the Bionics Institute in 2017 to work in the preclinical hearing team. His primary project aims to restore binaural processing by experience and training with binaural cues. He is also interested in the use of optogenetics for optical stimulation of auditory neurons.
Research fields of interest
- Optical stimulation and optogenetics
- Neural prostheses
- Biomedical optics
- Reversible silencing of the cochlea
- Optogenetics for precise neural stimulation
- Understanding changes in auditory processing from noise-induced hearing loss
- Hearing but not listening: Using behavioural training in preclinical studies to test the ability to listen to complex sounds
- R. T. Richardson, A. C. Thompson, A. K. Wise, and K. Needham, “Challenges for the application of optical stimulation in the cochlea for the study and treatment of hearing loss,” Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 213–223, Feb. 2017.
- A. C. Thompson, J. B. Fallon, A. K. Wise, S. A. Wade, R. K. Shepherd, and P. R. Stoddart, “Infrared neural stimulation fails to evoke neural activity in the deaf guinea pig cochlea,” Hear Res, vol. 324, pp. 46–53, 2015.
- C. Paviolo, A. C. Thompson, J. Yong, W. G. A. Brown, and P. R. Stoddart, “Nanoparticle-enhanced infrared neural stimulation,” J. Neural Eng., vol. 11, no. 6, p. 065002, Dec. 2014.
- A. C. Thompson, S. A. Wade, P. J. Cadusch, W. G. A. Brown, and P. R. Stoddart, “Modeling of the temporal effects of heating during infrared neural stimulation,” J. Biomed. Opt, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 035004–035004, Mar. 2013.
- A. C. Thompson, S. A. Wade, W. G. A. Brown, and P. R. Stoddart, “Modeling of light absorption in tissue during infrared neural stimulation,” Journal of Biomedical Optics, vol. 17, no. 7, pp. 075002-075002-6, Jul. 2012.