Mr Nicholas Sinclair
Nicholas joined the Bionics Institute in 2010 as part of the multi-disciplinary team developing a bionic eye. In that role, he developed neurostimulation and psychophysics equipment and performed experiments with bionic eye implantees. Following the successful completion of the first-in-human trial of a suprachoroidal retinal prosthesis, Nicholas moved to the Neurobionics team where he now works on improving Deep Brain Stimulation therapy for Parkinson’s disease and other conditions and is also undertaking a part-time PhD in this area. Prior to joining the Bionics Institute, Nicholas spent several years developing an EEG-based depth of anaesthesia monitor.
Research fields of interest
- Development of medical bionics devices
- Biomedical engineering
- Sinclair, N. C., H. J. McDermott, K. J. Bulluss, J. B. Fallon, T. Perera, S. S. Xu, P. Brown, and W. Thevathasan. 2018. Subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation evokes resonant neural activity. Annals of neurology: [epub ahead of print]. doi: 10.1002/ana.25234. Full Text
- Shivdasani, M. N., N. C. Sinclair, L. N. Gillespie, M. A. Petoe, S. A. Titchener, J. B. Fallon, T. Perera, D. Pardinas-Diaz, N. M. Barnes, and P. J. Blamey. 2017. Identification of Characters and Localization of Images Using Direct Multiple-Electrode Stimulation With a Suprachoroidal Retinal Prosthesis. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 58(10): 3962-74. Full Text
- Petoe, M. A., C. D. McCarthy, M. N. Shivdasani, N. C. Sinclair, A. F. Scott, L. N. Ayton, N. M. Barnes, R. H. Guymer, P. J. Allen, P. J. Blamey, and Consortium Bionic Vision Australia. 2017. Determining the Contribution of Retinotopic Discrimination to Localization Performance With a Suprachoroidal Retinal Prosthesis. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 58(7): 3231-39. Full Text
- Sinclair, N. C., M. N. Shivdasani, T. Perera, L. N. Gillespie, H. J. McDermott, L. N. Ayton, and P. J. Blamey. 2016. The Appearance of Phosphenes Elicited Using a Suprachoroidal Retinal Prosthesis. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 57(11): 4948-61. Full Text
- Barnes, N., A. F. Scott, P. Lieby, M. A. Petoe, C. McCarthy, A. Stacey, L. N. Ayton, N. C. Sinclair, M. N. Shivdasani, N. H. Lovell, H. J. McDermott, and J. G. Walker. 2016. Vision function testing for a suprachoroidal retinal prosthesis: effects of image filtering. Journal of Neural Engineering. 13(3): 036013.
- Slater, K. D., N. C. Sinclair, T. S. Nelson, P. J. Blamey, and H. J. McDermott. 2015. neuroBi: A Highly Configurable Neurostimulator for a Retinal Prosthesis and Other Applications. IEEE Journal of Translational Engineering in Health and Medicine. 3: e3800111. Full Text
- Shivdasani, M. N., N. C. Sinclair, P. N. Dimitrov, M. Varsamidis, L. N. Ayton, C. D. Luu, T. Perera, H. J. McDermott, and P. J. Blamey. 2014. Factors affecting perceptual thresholds in a suprachoroidal retinal prosthesis. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 55(10): 6467-81. Full Text
- Ayton, L. N., P. J. Blamey, R. H. Guymer, C. D. Luu, D. A. Nayagam, N. C. Sinclair, M. N. Shivdasani, J. Yeoh, M. F. McCombe, R. J. Briggs, N. L. Opie, J. Villalobos, P. N. Dimitrov, M. Varsamidis, M. A. Petoe, C. D. McCarthy, J. G. Walker, N. Barnes, A. N. Burkitt, C. E. Williams, R. K. Shepherd, and P. J. Allen. 2014. First-in-human trial of a novel suprachoroidal retinal prosthesis. PLoS ONE. 9(12): e115239. Full Text
- De Silva, A. C., N. C. Sinclair, and D. T. Liley. 2012. Limitations in the rapid extraction of evoked potentials using parametric modeling. IEEE Transactions on Bio-medical Engineering. 59(5): 1462-71. doi: 10.1109/TBME.2012.2188527. Full Text
- Liley, D. T., N. C. Sinclair, T. Lipping, B. Heyse, H. E. Vereecke, and M. M. Struys. 2010. Propofol and remifentanil differentially modulate frontal electroencephalographic activity. Anesthesiology. 113(2): 292-304. doi: 10.1097/ALN.0b013e3181e3d8a6. Full Text
See more publications by Nicholas Sinclair in PubMed