Prof Robert K. Shepherd
Professor Robert K. Shepherd was the Director of the Bionics Institute from 2005 to 2017. In the 1980’s Professor Shepherd led the preclinical team that demonstrated the safety and efficacy of Cochlear’s bionic ear and more recently his team developed a prototype bionic eye as part of an Australia-wide consortium, Bionic Vision Australia. He has published over 200 peer-reviewed papers, given 90 invited international keynote conference presentations, and received over $90M of research funding as a chief investigator. During Professor Shepherd’s tenure as Director of the Bionics Institute, he broadened its research portfolio to include retinal prostheses and neurobionics – a platform technology addressing diseases such as epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, and inflammatory bowel disease – and established a contract research organisation specialising in neural prostheses and drug delivery technologies. In 2014 he was awarded the Garnett Passe Medal at the Royal Society of Medicine, London for his contributions to otolaryngology. In 2015 he was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences and a member of Knowledge Nation 100.
- Hernández, D., R. Millard, P. Sivakumaran, A. M. Kong, G. M. Mitchell, A. Pebay, R. Shepherd, G. J. Dusting, and S. Y. Lim. 2018. Influence of continuous electrical stimulation on development of human cardiomyocytes from induced pluripotent stem cells. Conditioning Medicine. 1(6): 306-312. Full Text
- Senn, P., R. K. Shepherd, and J. B. Fallon. 2018. Focused electrical stimulation using a single current source. Journal of Neural Engineering: [epub ahead of print]. doi: 1088/1741-2552/aad0a5.
- Shepherd, R. K., J. Villalobos, O. Burns, and D. Nayagam. 2018. The development of neural stimulators: a review of preclinical safety and efficacy studies. Journal of Neural Engineering: [epub ahead of print]. doi: 1088/1741-2552/aac43c.
- Payne, S. C., R. K. Shepherd, A. Sedo, J. B. Fallon, and J. B. Furness. 2018. An objective in vivo diagnostic method for inflammatory bowel disease. Royal Society Open Science. 5(3): 180107. doi: 10.1098/rsos.180107. Full Text
- Abbott, Carla J., David A. X. Nayagam, Chi D. Luu, Stephanie B. Epp, Richard A. Williams, Cesar M. Salinas-LaRosa, Joel Villalobos, Ceara McGowan, Mohit N. Shivdasani, Owen Burns, Jason Leavens, Jonathan Yeoh, Alice A. Brandli, Patrick C. Thien, Jenny Zhou, Helen Feng, Chris E. Williams, Robert K. Shepherd, and Penelope J. Allen. 2018. Safety Studies for a 44-Channel Suprachoroidal Retinal Prosthesis: A Chronic Passive Study. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 59(3): 1410-1424. doi: 10.1167/iovs.17-23086. Full Text