Professor Robert K. Shepherd
Professor Robert K. Shepherd is the Head of the Medical Bionics Department at the University of Melbourne. In the 1980’s Professor Robert K. Shepherd led the preclinical team that demonstrated the safety and efficacy of Cochlear’s bionic ear in both adults and children, and more recently his team developed a prototype bionic eye as part of an Australia-wide collaboration – Bionic Vision Australia – to develop a commercial bionic eye. He has published over 200 peer-reviewed papers, given 90 invited international keynote conference presentations, received over $90M of research funding as a chief investigator. Professor Robert K. Shepherd has overseen the expansion of the Bionic Ear Institute into the Bionics Institute, broadening its research portfolio to include retinal prostheses, neurobionics – a platform technology for diseases such as epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease and the stimulation of visceral nerves, and introducing a contract research organisation specialising in in vitro and in vivo R&D associated with neural prostheses and drug delivery technologies. In 2014 Professor Robert K. Shepherd was awarded the Garnett Passe Medal at the Royal Society of Medicine, London for his contributions to Otolaryngology and in 2015 he was elected a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences and a member of Knowledge Nation 100.
- Payne, S. C., R. K. Shepherd, A. Sedo, J. B. Fallon, and J. B. Furness. 2018. An objective in vivo diagnostic method for inflammatory bowel disease. Royal Society Open Science. 5(3): 180107. doi: 10.1098/rsos.180107. Full Text
- Abbott, Carla J., David A. X. Nayagam, Chi D. Luu, Stephanie B. Epp, Richard A. Williams, Cesar M. Salinas-LaRosa, Joel Villalobos, Ceara McGowan, Mohit N. Shivdasani, Owen Burns, Jason Leavens, Jonathan Yeoh, Alice A. Brandli, Patrick C. Thien, Jenny Zhou, Helen Feng, Chris E. Williams, Robert K. Shepherd, and Penelope J. Allen. 2018. Safety Studies for a 44-Channel Suprachoroidal Retinal Prosthesis: A Chronic Passive Study. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 59(3): 1410-1424. doi: 10.1167/iovs.17-23086. Full Text
- Wise, A. K., R. Pujol, T. G. Landry, J. B. Fallon, and R. K. Shepherd. 2017. Structural and Ultrastructural Changes to Type I Spiral Ganglion Neurons and Schwann Cells in the Deafened Guinea Pig Cochlea. Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology : JARO: Epub 2017 Jul 17.
- Shepherd, R. K., A. K. Wise, Y. L. Enke, P. M. Carter, and J. B. Fallon. 2017. Evaluation of focused multipolar stimulation for cochlear implants: a preclinical safety study. Journal of Neural Engineering. 14(4): 046020. Full Text
- King, E. B., R. K. Shepherd, D. J. Brown, and J. B. Fallon. 2017. Gentamicin Applied to the Oval Window Suppresses Vestibular Function in Guinea Pigs. Journal of the Association for Research in Otolaryngology : JARO. 18(2): 291-99. Full Text
- Wise, A. K., J. Tan, Y. Wang, F. Caruso, and R. K. Shepherd. 2016. Improved Auditory Nerve Survival with Nanoengineered Supraparticles for Neurotrophin Delivery into the Deafened Cochlea. PLoS ONE. 11(10): e0164867. Full Text
- Hernandez, D., R. Millard, P. Sivakumaran, R. C. Wong, D. E. Crombie, A. W. Hewitt, H. Liang, S. S. Hung, A. Pebay, R. K. Shepherd, G. J. Dusting, and S. Y. Lim. 2016. Electrical Stimulation Promotes Cardiac Differentiation of Human Induced Pluripotent Stem Cells. Stem Cells International. 2016: 1718041. Full Text
- Fox, K., H. Meffin, O. Burns, C. J. Abbott, P. J. Allen, N. L. Opie, C. McGowan, J. Yeoh, A. Ahnood, C. D. Luu, R. Cicione, A. L. Saunders, M. McPhedran, L. Cardamone, J. Villalobos, D. J. Garrett, D. A. Nayagam, N. V. Apollo, K. Ganesan, M. N. Shivdasani, A. Stacey, M. Escudie, S. Lichter, R. K. Shepherd, and S. Prawer. 2016. Development of a Magnetic Attachment Method for Bionic Eye Applications. Artificial Organs. 40(3): E12-24.
- Fallon, J. B., S. Irving, S. S. Pannu, A. C. Tooker, A. K. Wise, R. K. Shepherd, and D. R. Irvine. 2016. Second spatial derivative analysis of cortical surface potentials recorded in cat primary auditory cortex using thin film surface arrays: Comparisons with multi-unit data. Journal of Neuroscience Methods. 267: 14-20. Full Text
- Aplin, F. P., E. L. Fletcher, C. D. Luu, K. A. Vessey, P. J. Allen, R. H. Guymer, R. K. Shepherd, and M. N. Shivdasani. 2016. Stimulation of a Suprachoroidal Retinal Prosthesis Drives Cortical Responses in a Feline Model of Retinal Degeneration. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science. 57(13): 5216-29. Full Text