Mr Nicholas Sinclair
Nicholas joined the Bionics Institute in 2010 as part of the multi-disciplinary team developing a bionic eye. In that role, he developed neurostimulation and psychophysics equipment and performed experiments with bionic eye implantees. Following the successful completion of the first-in-human trial of a suprachoroidal retinal prosthesis, Nicholas moved to the Neurobionics team where he now works on improving Deep Brain Stimulation therapy for Parkinson’s disease and other conditions and is also undertaking a part-time PhD in this area. Prior to joining the Bionics Institute, Nicholas spent several years developing an EEG-based depth of anaesthesia monitor.
Research fields of interest
- Development of medical bionics devices
- Biomedical engineering
- Sinclair NC, McDermott HJ, Bulluss KJ, Fallon JB, Perera T, Xu SS, Brown P, Thevathasan W. Subthalamic nucleus deep brain stimulation evokes resonant neural activity. Annals of Neurology 2018;83(5):1027-31. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/ana.25234
- Thevathasan W, Sinclair NC, Bulluss KJ, McDermott HJ. Tailoring Subthalamic Nucleus Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease Using Evoked Resonant Neural Activity. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 2020;14(71). doi: https://doi.org/10.3389/fnhum.2020.00071
- Ramirez-Zamora A, Giordano J, Gunduz A, Alcantara J, Cagle JN, Cernera S, Difuntorum P, Eisinger RS, Gomez J, Long S, Parks B, Wong JK, Chiu S, Patel B, Grill WM, Walker HC, Little SJ, Gilron Re, Tinkhauser G, Thevathasan W, Sinclair NC, et al. Proceedings of the Seventh Annual Deep Brain Stimulation Think Tank: Advances in Neurophysiology, Adaptive DBS, Virtual Reality, Neuroethics and Technology. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 2020;14(54) doi: https://doi.org/10.3389/fnhum.2020.00054
- Sinclair NC, McDermott HJ, Fallon JB, Perera T, Brown P, Bulluss KJ, Thevathasan W. Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s disease modulates high-frequency evoked and spontaneous neural activity. Neurobiology of disease 2019;130:104522. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nbd.2019.104522
- Sinclair NC, Fallon JB, Bulluss KJ, Thevathasan W, McDermott HJ. On the neural basis of deep brain stimulation evoked resonant activity. Biomedical Physics & Engineering Express 2019;5(5):057001. doi: https://doi.org/10.1088/2057-1976/ab366e
- C. Sinclair, M. N. Shivdasani, T. Perera, L. N. Gillespie, H. J. McDermott, L. N. Ayton, P. J. Blamey, The Appearance of Phosphenes Elicited Using a Suprachoroidal Retinal Prosthesis. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2016; 57, 4948-4961.
- D. Slater*, N. C. Sinclair*, T. S. Nelson, P. J. Blamey, H. J. McDermott, neuroBi: A highly configurable neurostimulator for a retinal prosthesis and other applications. IEEE Journal of Translational Engineering in Health and Medicine 2015; 3, 3800111. doi: 10.1109/JTEHM.2015.2455507.
- N. Ayton, P. J. Blamey, R. H. Guymer, C. D. Luu, D. A. Nayagam, N. C. Sinclair, M. N. Shivdasani et al, First-in-human trial of a novel suprachoroidal retinal prosthesis. PLoS One 2014; 9, e115239.
See more publications by Nicholas Sinclair in PubMed